Wednesday 1 May 2013

May Exhibition Artists Interview With Julia Crossland

Our exhibition continues this month with talented artist Julia Crossland we caught up with her to find out what inspires her work.




Who are you and what do you do?

My name is Julia Crossland and I’m an artist and illustrator. 

How has your practice changed over time?

I think my style has evolved enormously over the last few years.   I’ve learnt many things along the way, and picked up tips and ideas which I’ve incorporated into my work in my own way that I feel has given it a pretty recognisable style.  I like the fact that there is still much to learn, and am happy that painting, for me, is such an ergonomic process.  
 
What work do you most enjoying doing?

The part of the painting that I enjoy the most is the part when it’s half way through, and I start to add the detail.  I must confess that I lose all track of time and immerse myself deeply in the work.  It’s a bit like a meditation for me, it’s very relaxing and exciting at the same time, to see the work finally taking shape.


 
 What’s your favourite art work?

I enjoy the art of Elaine Pamphillon, Mary Fedden  and Winifred Nicholson.
 
 What jobs have you done other than being an artist?

I was a freelance sign writer for many years before becoming an artist, and I’ve also had other jobs along the way including being a Payroll Clerk for the NHS, a chambermaid, a waitress and a bar person to name but a few!
 
Is the artistic life lonely? What do you do to counteract it?

I work from home so it can be a bit quiet sometimes; I try and counteract this by listening to music and having long phone calls with my sister.  I also have a bunch of artist chums on social networking sites with whom I chat to during the week, it’s wonderfully encouraging to be able to communicate with like minded souls when things are feeling a bit solitary.


 
  What do you like about your work?

 I love painting with acrylics and I really  love the intensity of the colours.   I enjoy adding little elements of mixed media ~ scratching into the surface with a crayon, or layering on pieces of newspaper or magazine to add textures.  I like being able to capture a scene in my imagination and put it down on paper or canvas, that to me, is a remarkable thing to be able to do.

 
 What research to you do? 

I sketch or work from photographs, playing around with an idea until it looks the way I want it to, adding colour palettes that I think may work.  On other occasions I paint straight off the cuff, working right onto paper or canvas from the idea that is in nesting my mind.


 

  Favourite or most inspirational place ?

I seem to be drawn to Cornwall, and St Ives in particular seems to draw me back time and time again.
 
Our artist in the window during May is Jayne Nemeth, and Derbyshire Open Arts will include 13 artists over the bank holiday weekend 25-27th May 11-5pm.