Monday 3 June 2013

June Exhibition Part 1, Artist Interview Helen Rhodes

 This months main exhibition is by two talented artists Helen Rhodes and Mel Anderson titled Under African Skies. Here in part one we interview Helen Rhodes to find out more about her and her unique artwork.

Who are you and what do you do?

My name is Helen Rhodes and I’m a textile artist and designer. I make textile giftware and Textile art using unique methods of floral transfer and needle felting ‘painting’
 
 Why do you do what you do?
 I would always have to be creative I think even if it wasn’t my business.

How do you work?
From home, I have a lovely little converted stable studio which is my domain and non may enter without permission!
 
What’s your background?
I’ve always loved to craft  and was always given a craft kit of some description for Christmas.

What work do you most enjoying doing? 
Usually my current project! I get bored easily and have to flit between disciplines constantly.



What jobs have you done other than being an artist? 
 I’ve worked in a riding stables, accounts office,  Pottery café and I’ve always helped out at  my family’s nursery, oh and a brief stint at Royal Crown Derby.
 
Why art?
Art has no physical purpose only emotional, so there is no restriction on functionality, colour, size, or affordability as with my other textile products so it gives me permission to do what I feel
 
What inspires you?
Nature, mainly, I grew up in a rural community where my parent still run a plant nursery.  Very handy for my floral transfer work.
 
Is the artistic life lonely? What do you do to counteract it?
Tweet a lot! I find the communities on social media sites can provide much needed support and advice I’ve also made some true friends through this media.
 

What do you dislike about the art world?
Presumption, snobbery and over inflated prices and commission.

Thankyou Helen!
 Our artist in a window this month is the talented Joanne Reay see the previous blog for her interview.