Sunday 1 September 2013

Artist Interview with Gareth Buxton September Solo Exhibition Stormy Weather.

September has arrived and there is a distinctly fresher feel to the air! And certainly within the gallery there's a storm brewing! In the wonderful form of Gareth Buxton's solo exhibition 'Stormy Weather'
We caught up with Gareth to learn more about him and his work.


Who are you and what do you do?

My name is Gareth Buxton and I am an artist, some of my work is based loosely around landscapes.


Why do you do what you do?

Having started to paint I feel that I have to keep doing it now, its like an addiction. Painting for me is a therapy, and although I am not deeply troubled or anything I think I would be if I didn’t paint!

 

How do you work?

I work very expressively and in short bursts of intense activity. I often walk around afterwards and people comment that I have paint in my hair or the back of my neck! I find it impossible to copy a scene either from reality or a photo, the painting comes from inside and develops as I “express”!


What’s your background?

I come from and IT background and still do some part time work in this area.  I have done this out of choice; I feel my brain needs some analytical exercise which the art work doesn’t currently provide so I choose to keep working in this world.

 


 How has your practice changed over time?

When I started I painted very small canvases and my subject was quite small and I felt that painting had to be representative.  The more I paint the larger the canvases get and the less literal my paintings become.


What themes do you pursue?

Moorland, mountains and seascapes.  I don’t like to paint flat bright sunny skies, I like to see the battle between clouds and sun and lots of mist!


What memorable responses have you had to your work?

I have a few lovely emails over the years , this is a recent and quite typical comment

 

 I love your sense of movement, solitude, mist, and the relationship you create between moor and sky.  Just fab”

 

What do you dislike about the art world?

Meaningless CVs full of pompous words that don’t say anything.

 
What research to you do?

I do very little formal research I tend to absorb the world visually when I go walking and I am not the type of painter who treks across moorland with bags full of brushes and a large canvas strapped to my back. If I did I’d probably take off!


Do you have a favourite or inspirational place?

That’s a tricky one, its tempting to say, Kinder, Snowdon or similar beautiful places.  However the urban night sky can be just as stunning.

 

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve been given?

“Don’t try to paint like another artist, find your own style.”
Thankyou Gareth!
Our artist in a window this month is Jayne Woodbridge. We would love for you to come along to the gallery and browse our exhibitions and view the work of our British designers. Coffee and Tea available and a warm welcome despite the 'Stormy Weather' !!