Friday 28 February 2014

March Artist in a Window Catherine Wetherall

The artist in a window for March is wildlife artist Catherine Wetherall who speacilises in wildlife we love her work and think you will too read below to find out more!

Who are you and what do you do?

I’m Catherine Wetherall a professional wildlife artist based in Buckinghamshire working mainly in pastels and oils, I create paintings of British  and endangered wildlife.  I get out and about in the countryside taking photographs and sketches to work from and collaborate with some fab wildlife photographers too!


 Why do you do what you do?

Born and raised on a farm in Derbyshire I was obsessed with animals from an early age,  inspired by my father who was always drawing and painting my love of nature and animals combined with art and has always played a major part in my life! I’m addicted!

 How do you work?

I’m very lucky to have my own studio at home with beautiful views and lots of natural light! I work with another artist friend most days, so I’m never lonely! I get totally engrossed and time just flies by! Three or four paintings always on the go!I take commissions for wildlife and the occasional pet portrait.

 What’s your background?

I studied art at school and college and have taken specific courses to give me a boost throughout the many years!



What has been a seminal experience?

I hadn’t picked up a pencil or paintbrush seriously for many years and about three years ago my mother became very ill, I found my artwork very therapeutic, it really helped through some tough, emotional times and here I am now doing what I enjoy the most for a living!

What work do you most enjoying doing?

Although I do take commissions for pet portraits, wildlife is my thing! I’m thinking about doing it when I’m not doing it and when I am doing it I’m thinking about the next thing I’m going to do!!! 

What themes do you pursue?

I like to keep my wildlife paintings pure with no or very little background, I feel it helps the subjects to spring out at you! 

What jobs have you done other than being an artist?

I was a project manager for a training company for many years and after having my daughter I gave that up to concentrate on project managing and training her!! After a few years I bought a company that developed over 10 years into a profitable business, I’ve now handed over to my hubby so I can concentrate full time on my art! Bonkers! 



Why art?

Art gives you a different window on the world, every piece you look at makes you view things with an altered perspective, you then embrace life in a completely new way, its definitely made me a better person!


Professionally, what’s your goal?

I would love to get a publisher this year, I’m looking to push myself harder to get there! I also want to widen my horizons a little and I’ve entered my work into several exhibitions and competitions so fingers crossed!I’ve also started running one to one workshops at home and would like to hold weekly classes too as the year goes on.

Thank you Catherine!