Saturday 29 August 2015

September Interview with Featured Artist Barbara Helm

Joining us here at Studio 61 Gallery is the lovely Barbara Helm whose monoprints are an absolute joy and will bring a vibrancy to the gallery as the weather turns towards Autumn this September. read all about Barbara below:


Who are you and what do you do? 
Barbara Helm and printmaking



What’s your background? 
A BTEC Foundation Dip in Art & Design, which I did in my 60s, after taking retirement. I'm currently taking the Complete Printmaker course at Hot Bed Press in Salford.

How has your practice changed over time? 
I've become more focused on printmaking techniques, and expanded my knowledge and skills, particularly with monoprinting.


 
What work do you most enjoying doing? 
I love experimenting with colour and texture in my monoprints.  Plus there are always happy accidents, and I like to think “what would happen if I did this...”

What’s your favourite art work? 
Anything by Van Gogh.  I love the vibrancy and energy of his paintings.



What jobs have you done other than being an artist? 
I was a University Administrator for many years.

Why art? 
It's something I've always wanted to explore, and practice but life, until retirement, just never gave me enough time. Now there's no stopping me!



Is the artistic life lonely? What do you do to counteract it? 
I don't find it lonely at all, I've met so many other artists since I started making art, it's wonderful to be able to discuss ideas and practices with others who are just a interested in the subject as you.  And I always have an audiobook on in my studio whilst I'm working!

What do you dislike about the art world? 
Intellectualism and the idea that art is somehow an elite area, when in fact it is open to all.


 
What do you like about your work? 
I love monoprinting as it gives me lots of opportunity to experiment, particularly with colour.

Professionally, what’s your goal? 
To produce thoughtful, interesting and exciting work.



Thank you Barbara!


Gallery news:

Our first Saturday Morning Kids Craft Club kicks off on 26 September with "Make a Beaded Flower" 10.30-12 all materials included & a soft drink £7.95. Age 7+ (grown ups welcome) Places limited. Booking essential.


You Are Invited
On September 20th a preview of a new collection of oil paintings by Karina Goodman inspired by the skies and landscapes of The Peak District and the Cornish coastline. 

This unseen work has been painted either in Karinas studio or on a beach or cliff top in Cornwall and will also mark the 10th anniversary of Studio 61 - Karina Goodman Gallery 
Come along and enjoy wine and nibbles between 4pm and 7pm.