Friday 9 June 2017

a "new surroundings" inspired painting

I'm enjoying being surrounded by trees in my new studio and I knew this would have an influence on my work.  With family commitments, two Derbyshire Open Arts Events and Purple and Grey work I've not painted as much as I would have liked lately.

For the first time I have got involved in the Buxton Spa Prize seeing it not as a competition but as a way to get me painting something different.  I haven't got a competitive bone in my body so I was quite happy to get my canvas stamped, choose a number and being given a location to paint.  Today I delivered the framed oil on canvas.  I will keep you posted when the preview is.

On my return the sun was out and family were out working so I had a lovely few hours pottering down in my studio under a canopy of trees with shafts of sunlight dancing on the decking.  I'd got a canvas I'd been building up with layers and textures and I felt inspired.

Using just a palette knife and my fingers, with trees and sunlight in mind,  I've been working on this impasto oil on the 40 cm box canvas today and ended up wearing most of it.












Not sure if it's finished as yet and will take months to dry!

Keep you posted

Love Karina x